Monday, October 22, 2012

Clarksville.

Today at work (I'm a receptionist), a young man called to transfer his information from the Clarksville office to a new office in New York. He laughed over the phone as he explained that Tennessee was just a bit too far from his new New York home to be plausible. I paused. I wanted to ask him what it was like, to really leave this little town behind. Granted I've left in the past, but with university, I'm never gone for too long. The idea of leaving my town behind and going somewhere so vast, somewhere where nobody really knows me terrifies me. It's scary but in a way that leaves me short of breath. I daydream of travelling and of seeing great things, even not-so-great things, even mundane things, in faraway places. I'm terrified of growing older and becoming someone that I won't recognize.

I remember casually bringing up my plans to relatives. "Oh right," they would smirk. "I said I was going to travel, too. But shit happens. Life happens."

There's no great time to pack up and go, but honestly, what better of a time then now while I'm young and unattached? I don't want to grow old and become one of those people who smirks and says "Oh, I said I would travel, too."

No comments:

Post a Comment